The Fostoria Glass Society of America, Inc. is a nonprofit, tax-exempt
corporation formed to acquire and disseminate detailed knowledge concerning
Fostoria Glass, and to establish and maintain a museum for housing and
displaying Fostoria glass.
HOW THE SOCIETY WORKS
There is a fifteen member Board of Directors; five officers, a representative
of each authorized chapter (not to exceed ten chapters) of the Society elected
by the members of the Chapters, and at-large directors elected by the voting
members serving four year, staggered terms. Officers are elected for two-year
terms and Board Members are elected to serve four-year terms. Elections are held
by mailed ballot prior to the annual June Convention where election results are announced.
The Board of Directors meet quarterly, and quarterly meetings are held for the General Membership.
Board of Directors and all committee meetings are open to the voting members.
There are three classes of membership: Voting,
Honorary, and Founder/Charter.
Voting members have all the benefits of membership plus the additional
opportunity to become board members and vote on Society business.
A membership given to someone by the board in recognition for
special services or dedication to our Society.
Those persons who were in attendance at the organizational
meeting of the Society held June 24-25, 1980 in Moundsville, West Virginia shall be known as Founding Members. Those persons who joined the Society between
June 26, 1980 and December 31, 1980 shall be known as Charter Members.
Printable Membership Application
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
Facets of Fostoria - a 20 page newsletter published six times
per year which contains the business of the Society plus interesting articles
on Fostoria glass and other materials. Back issues of the Facets are available
for a small fee.
Opportunity to attend quarterly meetings.
Opportunity to purchase souvenirs, memorabilia, and research helps
sold through the Society.
Opportunity to support the Fostoria Glass Museum through donations
of money, glass, or time.
Opportunity to participate in an annual June Auction to benefit
the Fostoria Glass Museum.
Opportunity to attend the annual Convention.
Opportunity to join a study club - FGSA currently boasts affiliate
study clubs in West Virginia, Texas, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. Any group of Fostoria
collectors can apply to form such a study club in their area. The club
must follow a few simple guidelines set by the National Organization. All
members of study must hold a current membership in F.G.S.A.. Any
questions may be directed to the Fostoria Glass Society of America, Inc.,
PO Box 826, Moundsville, WV 26041.
Download the form from this site to join the Fostoria
Glass Society of America, Inc. You will be affiliated with a dedicated
and enthusiastic group of collectors.
Printable Membership Application
HISTORY OF THE
FOSTORIA GLASS COMPANY 1887 - 1986
The Fostoria Glass Company began operations in Fostoria, Ohio,
on December 15, 1887. This site was chosen because natural gas at a recently
opened field in the area had been offered at a very low cost to attract
new industries. However, the field was so short-lived that in 1891, Fostoria
moved to Moundsville, West Virginia, where there was an abundance of gas
and coal, and other needed materials were close by.
During its first ten years, Fostoria made pressed ware, but early
in the 20th century Fostoria realized the importance of developing fine quality
In 1924 the company was one of the first to start a program of
national advertising, and the first to produce complete dinner services
in crystal. Besides their regular line of blown, etched and pressed patterns
they did custom work such as providing glass with government seals for
officials in Washington. All the presidents from Eisenhower through Reagan
ordered glassware from them. At one time Fostoria was the largest maker
of handmade glassware in the United States, employing nearly 1000 people.
The AMERICAN pattern, introduced in 1915, is still being produced by Lancaster
Colony (who bought the Fostoria company in 1983), making it the most successful
pattern in the history of glass making. Fostoria's business peaked in 1950
when they made over 8 million pieces of glass.
In 1986, after struggling with an outmoded plant and foreign competition,
Lancaster Colony was forced to close the Fostoria Company, ending nearly
100 years of glass making.
MUSEUM - The Anna
B. Smith House
In 1903, Charles and Birdie Burchinal purchased a large portion
of the block bounded by 6th Street and Tomlinson Avenue in Moundsville
and began building a house. Unable to finish the house, on August 22, 1908
the Burchinal's sold 12 parcels including the lot and house to William
H. and Maria Batson. One year later, Anna Belle Smith or "Ma Smith" as
she became known, purchased the house, had it completed, and moved in with
her three daughters and two sons-in-law. The house remained the property
of "Ma Smith" until 1942, and has since been used as offices, a residence,
and finally as the Masonic Lodge. Fostoria Glass Society of America, Inc.
agreed to purchase the property in 1988, and completed payments for ownership
The museum is open:
Saturday from 1pm - 4pm, except holidays. Closed December, January and February.
Telephone (304) 845-9188.
||Fostoria Glass Society of America
PO Box 826
Moundsville, WV 26041